The Student Council of Colaiste Muire is a formally recognised body within the school community with responsibility for putting forward the views of students on a wide range of topics. The council works in partnership with school management including the principal and deputy principal, the Board of Management and the Parents’ Council to maintain a positive, safe and healthy environment where both staff and students are encouraged to achieve their full potential.
The student council is comprised entirely of students and supported by a liaison teacher. Each class group elects a prefect and deputy prefect at the beginning of the school year. Elected prefects then attend and participate in a full council meeting on a monthly basis where they express the ideas and opinions of their individual class groups.
Functions of the Student Council:
- To enhance communication between students, management, staff and parents
- To promote an environment conducive to educational and personal development
- To promote friendship and respect among pupils
- To support the management and staff in the development of the school
- To represent the views of the students on matters of general concern to them
(Student Councils: A Voice for Students, Department of Education and Science, 2002)
Responsibilities of individual Student Council members:
- Participate in Student Council Leadership Training
- Liaise with individual class groups to determine topics for discussion
- Feedback to individual class groups regarding decision made at meetings
- Support the school community at official events such as open day/evening and parent/teacher meetings
- Consult in a positive and collaborative manner with school management and staff